Policy Attorney Aubrey Edwards-Luce testified before the DC Council’s Committee on Human Services regarding the FY2016 performance of the District’s Department of Disability Services (DDS). DDS is responsible for assisting individuals with disabilities to lead meaningful and productive lives as vital members of their families, schools, workplace and communities. Aubrey highlighted some of the agency’s significant achievements, such as increasing the number of student with disabilities that participate in the District’s summer youth employment program and increasing the provision of employment counseling services.
Aubrey’s testimony also discussed addressing barriers for students with disabilities, including:
- Earlier, efficacious secondary transition planning;
- Expanding access to the summer youth employment program;
- Providing proportionate services to students in public charter schools;
- Expanding career and education services for older, under-credited youth; and
- Improving guidance to DDA applicants.
Click below to read her full testimony.